Referrers are as an important part of the Elkhart Flames Soccer Club as the coaches and players. They have the responsibility of maintaining the integrity and spirit of competition of games. Further, it is the Referees responsibility to make sure the games are fair, fun, and safe. Young player learn the rules of the games and a sense of respect from the Referees. Referrers do a service to the community and to the players, coaches, and fans.
Why become a referee?
- It is a great way for ex-players to stay involved in the game (and keep active!).
- It is a chance to meet new people and make new friends locally, nationally and maybe even internationally
- It will help you stay active and keep fit. Remember you have to be able to keep up with play.
- Earn money working in a sport you enjoy. Yes, that’s right. We said you can earn money!
- Become more knowledgeable about the Laws of the Game. Did you know that the official rules of soccer are called “The Laws of the Game,” and that the Soccer Laws used in youth soccer are the very same Laws used by the professionals with only a few minor exceptions?
- Learning all the ins and outs of these Laws will help you to appreciate the game much more and make you a better player (or coach).
- It’s a great first job. Refereeing teaches commitment and professionalism – while being fun at the same time.
- Adult referees are always in demand. It’s a wonderful way to give something back to the community and to your home soccer association.
For you as an individual both socially and at work, refereeing can also:
- Improve your communication skills.
- Help you make decisions under mental and physical pressure.
- Increase your self-confidence.